Cecil County Public Library is seeking applicants for the position of Central Library Branch Manager (Elkton, MD). For first consideration applications must be received by September 9th.
POSITION: Central Library Branch Manager
GRADE: 11 ($67,461)
DEPARTMENT: Branch Management
LOCATION: Elkton Central Library
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director – Public Services
This professional, managerial, and supervisory position is responsible for the public services operations of the Elkton Central Library (ELK). Areas of responsibility include coordinating the operations of the Adult, Children’s, and Circulation departments, training and developing staff, marketing collections and services, ensuring the delivery of quality library materials and services to the public, and managing general/routine branch related facility/security issues. The Branch Manager directly supervises the Adult services department, and Children’s and Circulation department heads.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for the Library within the broad goals and objectives of CCPL.
- Responsible for seeing that policies and procedures of CCPL are carried out in the branch.
- Oversee and provide branch leadership for the development, implementation, and marketing of creative and effective services and collections in Adult, Children’s, and Circulation departments.
- Supervise, develop, and evaluate staff under his/her direction.
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation of projects.
- Serve as Community Liaison to the greater Elkton Community. Represent the library at community meetings.
- Schedule public service staff and substitutes effectively and within budgetary limitations.
- Work with Materials Manager/Selectors, and Adult and Children’s department heads and Outreach. Direct the development, maintenance, and evaluation of collections.
- Work under the direction of and collaboratively with members of Administration to improve CCPL’s services and procedures.
- Interpret, explain, and implement CCPL policies and procedures.
- Resolve patron complaints.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring staff.
- Provide public library services at ELK service desks.
- Participate on teams and committees, often at system level and often as team leader or project manager.
- Manage general/routine branch-related facility/security issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain positive relations with public and staff.
- Performs job in keeping with the policies and procedures of the Cecil County Public Library.
- Demonstrate collaborative, straight forward, team oriented leadership and supervisory methods.
- Model/develop/maintain excellent customer service.
- Maintain courteous, friendly, and constructive relationships with patrons and staff.
Personal computer, telephone, fax, photocopier, AV projection equipment
- Master’s degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Candidate must have 3-5 years experience in management, preferably in a library setting.
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in management and problem solving.
- Considerable supervisory experience at the branch/department head level. Demonstrated skills in staff training and development.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to supervise a combination of supervisors and direct reports at all professional levels.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and market creative and effective public library programs, events, collections, and services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library collection development and maintenance, marketing, and display.
- Working knowledge of library automation procedures, electronic reference, and use of the Internet for library services.
- Considerable knowledge of user’s interests, authors, books, and new materials formats.
- Ability to analyze and organize effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, the community, and members of the public.
- Ability to reach, bend and lift up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull a rolling book carts.
- May recommend materials to be purchased.
- May assist in writing or coordinating press releases.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Works in normal heat and light conditions. Frequent reaching, bending and lifting of up to 35 lbs.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT: Exempt
37.5 hours per week, including scheduled weekend and evening hours. Additional flexibility may be required.
NOTE: Certain conditions, e.g. economic constraints, staffing patterns, may necessitate change in job description.
EOe rEVISED 8/13
Staff Development Manager
Cecil County Public Library
301 Newark Avenue
Elkton, MD 21921
Phone: 410-996-1055 ext. 132