Public Charter High School
Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School is a law-themed college preparatory high school in Washington, DC serving 360 students in grades 9-12. The school is located in a renovated 50,000 square foot state-of-the-art educational facility in Anacostia, has been serving youth from Southeast Washington, DC since 2001.
The mission of the school is to prepare students to be successful in college and to actively participate in our democratic society. The school is an academically rigorous and demanding dedicated to improving the educational opportunities of students. TMA creates an environment that fosters critical thinking, problem solving and public advocacy skills by combining a comprehensive, standards-based curriculum with education about law, democracy and human rights. The school has established challenging academic and social expectations for its students and has been uncompromising in its commitment to those high expectations.
Thurgood Marshall Academy is currently seeking applicants for a school librarian. The candidate will manage the school’s library and media center. The library’s collection includes 4,600 books, 20 databases, and hundreds of eBooks and periodicals. The library utilizes technology to provide resources for eBook lending, plagiarism detection, and managing citations and research.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
(Note: These examples are intended only as illustration of the various types of work performed in this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- engaging the school community in the selection of the library collection;
- developing policies and procedures that facilitate access and use of the facility and collection;
- designing the information literacy curriculum and teaching information literacy skills to students and faculty;
- collaborating with teaching staff in order to enhance student learning,
- building the print and electronic collections;
- collaborating with teachers to implement integrated instructional activities;
- coordinating inter-library loans;
- coordinating use of instructional technology;
- maintaining professional resources; and
- any other appropriate responsibilities as a professional staff member of TMA.
- A strong commitment to Thurgood Marshall Academy’s mission.
- B.S. degree, master’s degree in library science strongly preferred.
- Experience with teaching in a school library and managing databases, integrated library systems, technology, print and media collections.
- A strong commitment to literacy for all students.
- Ability to create and manage systems to track data; ability to successfully track and analyze data.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work well with a diverse faculty.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and organizational skills.
Thurgood Marshall Academy offers a competitive salary and benefits package. This is an 11 month position. Thurgood Marshall Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit cover letter and resume by email to Rebecca Penney at email@example.com. Please indicate “Librarian” in the subject field.