Cecil County Public Library is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director for Public Services. For first consideration applications must be received by July 15th.
POSITION: Assistant Director – Public Services
GRADE: 13 ($80,047)
JOB LOCATION: Elkton Administration
REPORTS TO: Director
As member of the senior administration team, has responsibility for managing and overseeing the library system’s public service operations. Supervises all library branch managers (including Elkton, Perryville/Port Deposit, Rising Sun, Chesapeake City, North East, Cecilton). Often, is assigned lead role in implementing new initiatives for the library, as well as the evaluation, improvement of existing systems, processes and procedures, especially related to public services. Participates in the development, planning, and implementation of capital projects. Actively participates in library recruitment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works closely with the Director in developing and planning library public services and related strategic initiatives; supports and assists Director’s work.
- Assesses community and library needs as they pertain to public services; in consultation with Director and senior administrative team, develops recommendations and plans for continuous improvement of public service functions for the 21st Century; oversees implementation of approved plans.
- Supervises, evaluates and provides guidance to managers of all libraries; makes regular visits to all library locations.
- Promotes and facilitates team work between all libraries and other departments system-wide
- Frequently serves as project manager for significant branch facility improvements and other significant library projects.
- Oversees and coordinates specialized public service functions, such as adult, children’s, and YA services and programming, to assure consistency with library goals and objectives and management.
- Trains staff in implementing public service and customer service goals; plays key role in coordinating orientations for new employees.
- In consultation with Director and Associate Director, coordinates the development and evaluation related to public service library procedures in all libraries and develops recommendations certain areas of public service library policy.
- In consultation with Director and Associate Director, may respond to user concerns or public relations issues, especially in relation to public services.
- Assists in overseeing the implementation of, and monitors the progress of, assigned strategic plan initiatives and goals.
- Participates in various or assigned community groups and develops support for library services and the library; acts as liaison between the library and various community groups
- Oversees the CCPL Small Business Information Center and supervises the Small Business Librarian.
- Maintains excellent communication with the Director and the senior administrative team.
- Maintains open communication with branch staff and managers.
- Works with the Human Resources Manager, Associate Director and other appropriate staff to develop relevant training for all public service staff.
- Serves as a regular member of the interview team.
- Periodically prepares or oversees preparation of reports which may have significant statistical or financial components.
- May develop and write grants and may supervise grant implementation
- Approves annual leave and timesheets for direct reports.
- Regularly prepares reports, meeting agendas, and monthly schedules. Schedules and facilitates manager/staff meetings.
- Serves on committees and participates in workshops, seminars, and training as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Ability to obtain State of Maryland certification as a Professional Librarian within six months of hire
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience in a professional, leadership role in a public library setting.
- Thorough knowledge of public library professional standards, practices, issues and trends
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in public library management and problem solving.
- Excellent skills in supervision, staff training, and mentoring.
- Experience using presentation software and public speaking.
- Excellent analytical skills complementing the ability to see the big picture
- Knowledge of internet and internet resources and how to use them effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent PC skills and experience with software packages.
- Extensive knowledge of branch practices and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Cecil County Public Library.
- Ability to assess community needs and develop, plan, implement library public service programs or effectively modify existing programs to meet these needs.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship of children’s, young adult and adult services and the concepts necessary to develop strong cross services relationships.
- Ability to effectively coordinate, supervise, train and communicate with other staff members
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other professionals.
- Ability to keep relevant parties informed of all major issues and programs and to recommend changes as appropriate.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records, prioritize and multitask.
- Learns new skills and technologies to retain proficiency in areas of expertise.
- Is dependable and punctual.
- Professional commitment to develop high quality and high impact public library services, which promote individual and community success.
- Demonstrates collaborative, straight forward, team oriented leadership and supervisory methods.
- Models/develops/maintains excellent customer service.
- Models and maintains a positive, friendly and cooperative attitude to staff and patrons.
- Demonstrates positive attitude towards library technology and change.
- Promotes a positive library image in the community.
- Ensures that quality controls and productivity management goals are being met.
- Performs job in keeping with the policies and procedures of the Cecil County Public Library.
PC, laptop, networked equipment, AV and presentation equipment, fax, scanner, printer, digital camera, wireless equipment and other electronic equipment.
Works in normal office heat and light conditions. Bending, reaching and lifting of up to 25 lbs.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT: Exempt
37.5 hours per week. Additional flexibility required.
NOTE: Certain conditions, e.g. economic constraints, staffing patterns, may necessitate change in job description.
EOE Revised 06/13
Staff Development Manager
Cecil County Public Library
301 Newark Avenue
Elkton, MD 21921
Phone: 410-996-1055 ext. 132