Library Systems & Services, LLC (LSSI) has an opening for a full-time Reference Librarian in a downtown federal agency.
The incumbent provides both comprehensive and selective reference services in areas of interest to agency, as well as working on a number of Information Center related tasks.
- Provides reference/research services to support agency’s mission and programs in the areas of international business, finance, economics, industry sectors, environmental issues, foreign direct investment, foreign trade and law to agency staff and other patrons using agency’s specialized library. Research information provided by the incumbent is of an advanced nature and may necessitate going beyond the normal print and electronic resources in order to provide detailed responses.
- Provides general information support to agency staff including instructing staff on the use of the Information Center and electronic resources, participating in Information Center outreach /marketing programs and providing follow-up on selected topics/research.
- Provides Character Reference Due Diligence (CRDD) research for agency projects.
- Works on special projects at the request of the Information Center Manager.
- Responsible for the creation, distribution and management of selected news alerts.
- Participates in trials of potential new online information services and products as assigned by the Information Center Manager.
- Supports the Information Center’s SharePoint based Intranet page by updating the Feature of the Week on a rotating basis with other staff members and other web page related tasks as assigned by the Information Center Manager.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Professional knowledge of the theories, concepts, principles and techniques of librarianship in order to provide effective reference support.
- Solid foundation in basic principles of research combining electronic and print resources to provide both quick solutions and in-depth research.
- Ability to identify or devise unorthodox and creative research approaches to respond to agency project related requests.
- Knowledge of international business and related topics including company intelligence, finance, economics, industry sectors and environmental issues.
- Proficient with a variety of generalized and specialized electronic information systems, services including LexisNexis and Factiva.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and the Internet.
- Must be open to taking direction and willing to follow established policies/procedures.
- Experienced in prioritizing projects, meeting deadlines and contributing effectively within a small group environment.
- Must be a team oriented with excellent interpersonal communications skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within the library and with library clientele.
- MLS required.
In addition to the requirements outlined in the job description the following characteristics/skills are required:
- Well organized.
- Able to manage their work time in such a way that they can handle multiple tasks within the same work day.
- Detail oriented.
- Has knowledge of fundamental reference skills such as being able to broaden/narrow a search, conduct a solid reference interview with the requestor and has recent experience implementing these skills.
- Has recent experience using Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Has recent experience using LexisNexis and Factiva.
Requires application found at www.lssi.com . Resume and/or cover letter may be attached after submission of the required application form. Resumes without required application will not be considered.
LSSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.