Application open until December 21, 2012 / Position available as of January 2013.
* A librarian with an MLS or currently enrolled in an MLS program
* Fluent in English and French
* Understanding of American and French cultures and of non-profit cultural organizations
* Strong interest in francophone cultures; knowledge of the French book market is a plus
* Excellent organizational skills
* Able to multi-task
* Full-time position. Includes working on Saturdays
* Serves a population of Alliance Française students as well as francophones and native-speakers of French in the DC area
* Manages a library collection of about 8,000 items and about 50 magazine subscriptions for children and adults
* Organizes author events for children and adults, a monthly game night and a monthly book club
* Staffs the circulation desk
* Supervises a team of volunteers who staff the desk and assist with various tasks
$40,000 – $45,000
About the Alliance Française:
The Alliance Française (AF) is a worldwide network of over 1,000 cultural centers dedicated to promoting French language and francophone cultures. 114 chapters are in the US. The AFDC<http://www.francedc.org/> chapter, a 501(c)3/non-profit organization created in 1949, is located at 2142 Wyoming Ave., NW, Washington, DC, with an annex at 421 7th St., NW. We offer classes, cultural events, and a library.
The library has a collection of about 8,000 items – books, DVDs, CDs, magazines, and language learning material – for our students as well as the local francophone community, children and adults. It is open 47 ½ hours per week, Monday through Saturday. The AFDC currently has about 1,000 enrolled students; the library has over 400 borrowers (70% of whom are AFDC students).
Please send resume and cover letter to Nadia at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>
2142 Wyoming Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
(p) 202.234.7911 x814
Monday-Thursday 12noon – 8pm; Friday-Saturday 10am – 5pm